Rural regeneration, our specialist expertise
The Rural Futures team has the knowledge and expertise to deliver, develop and support specialist rural regeneration programmes.
“A track record of rural regeneration”
Trained in facilitation and appraisal the Rural Futures team understand the policy and programme requirements of funding by European, national, regional and local government. Focused on delivery, we work closely with each client to ensure projects comply with policy. With excellent local knowledge the team can deliver public sector program objectives through its extensive network of private sector clients. The Rural Futures team can demonstrate a track record of rural regeneration delivering:
- Growth sector opportunities in rural areas and key service centres.
- Local food initiatives & creation of local food trails.
- Tourism marketing.
- Support for the knowledge based economy.
- Farm diversification.
- Agri-environmental support.
- Climate change adaptation & mitigation in rural areas.
Example of delivery programmes undertaken by the team or delivered in partnership with other organisations include:
Rural Planning Facilitation Service 2006-Present
Managed and delivered over 200 rural planning audits to business across the North West on behalf of North West Development Agency.
Agri Environmental Support Visits 2010-2011
Delivered 180 ELS, UELS and HLS support visits on behalf of Natural England.
Bowland Initiative 1999-2002
National Pilot for integrated business and environmental support to the land based sector.
Lancashire Rural Futures 2002 – 2008
The UK’s largest specialist service delivering business and environmental support to all rural business sectors. It facilitated over £26million of public and private investment, created over 1200 new jobs and placed 12,000ha of land under positive environmental management.
- Leader + Rural Sustainable Marketing Programme. 2003-2007
Delivered specialist marketing and renewable energy support to rural businesses. Facilitated £2.3 million of investment to over 370 businesses.
“Experience of regeneration to share”
Supporting other organisations
The team has assisted other UK and European regions in developing models for specialist rural business support, based around local needs and programmes.
The team can assist public and private organisations with the development of delivery models based around local needs analysis, exploring programme funding opportunities, partnership development amongst stakeholder groups and the implementation of new programmes. Support for programme implementation may include, staff recruitment, monitoring and database management systems, marketing of new programmes and ongoing mentoring assistance during delivery.
Members of the team are fully qualified as public sector mentors through the IDEA programme.
Examples of mentoring activity undertaken include:
- Renewable Energy support to the Gulu Link, Ugandan based NGO. (2010-2011).
- Somerset: Rural Mentor Programme through the IDEA program (2007-2008).
- Pomorskie Region Poland: Assistance with implementation of Pomorskie Rural Development Plan (2008).
- Latvia: Assistance with Latvian Rural Delivery Plan business support model (2007-2008).